Tuesday, February 5, 2008

How about a little Jack "King" Kirby?



Hello Chums,



I have been reading comic books for a long time now, something like 35 years. With the exception of OMAC, I haven't really appreciated the work of Jack Kirby until the last 5 or so years. Now I am attempting to get caught up on some of his work that I have missed out on.


I picked up the Silver Star Graphite Edition awhile back and thought I would give it a try. First of all Graphite Editions are basically the pencil work of the artist. No color or even inks present. Just pencils and word balloons. This edition does have some pages with inks but only when the pencil page couldn't be found. This project was started by Kirby in the 70's to be a motion picture, but when that didn't work out it was shelved until the early 80's. Kirby then took the project to Pacific Comics for a 6 issue series.


The story revolves around Morgan Miller a common G.I. in the Vietnam War. Common until he picks up a tank and throws it into another tank. (Did the vietamese have tanks?) It seems Morgan's dad (Bradford Miller) developed a "genetic package" for survival in a post-atomic world. Bradford gave these "packages" to Morgan and a few others. During a time of stress something is triggered in these indiduals to cause a change in them from regular people to superhumans. From Homo Sapiens to Homo Geneticus.

This "origin" of Silver Star reminds me of Captain America with some mutant power thrown in for good measure. Is it original? Not really, but Kirby did co-create Captain America. So I guess it's okay to have some resemblance to him.


This story is the last original tale done by Kirby. Even though it is billed as a "visual novel", I found it lacking and a little hard to follow. Luckily this edition comes with the original movie pitch. Upon reading the 10 page pitch, the story does makes sense, but I can see why Hollywood turned it down. This edition also has a nice section of Kirby Silver Star sketches and alternate unused covers.


Rating: Story C+, Art B


K.R.C.


D.L.



No comments: