Monday, August 17, 2009

Pick Of My Pile for the weeks of 8-05 and 8-12.

Hello Chums,


I'm finally caught up on my comic reading since the Comic-con. And I have managed to get in three more trades.



The first trade is The Exterminators vol. 5 Bug Brothers Forever (the final book). Although I initially liked The Exterminators, I think the last two trades were very weak in the series. It's too bad that the series ended so abruptly and weakly.



My second read was The King by Rich Koslowski, which I bought from him at Comic-con. This story is kind of a what if Elvis came out of hiding and started singing again. Well there would surely be an investigation into his authenticity, wouldn't there?



The third book I read this week is Funny Misshapen Body by Jeffrey Brown. Brown, one of my favorite creators, has created his best work to date. This book labeled "A Memoir" contains many personal stories ranging from youthful health issues to life in college and grad school. Not to be missed. My highest recommendation.



On to my picks.



Week of 8-05:



Marvel:


Agents of Atlas #9. This book has kind of ran it's course with me.



Captain America Reborn #2 (of 5). Continuing the return of Captain America by Brubaker and Hitch.



Deadpool: Merc with a mouth #2. I bought this because I really liked the cover and decided to give it a shot. The story and art weren't half bad.



IDW:



Star Trek: Alien Spotlight: Q. A nice Captain Picard vs. Q story.



Blacklist Studios (who are they?):



R13 #1. Colossus! What is it? How about a skeletal diver/robot vs. a ship sinking squid. All with Mike Mignola stylized art!



Dark Horse:



Sir Edward Grey Witchfinder #2 (of 5). More sir Edward in the service of angels.




Image:




Jersey Gods #6. Zoe and her god boyfriend Barock look for a house to settle in, in New Jersey. Probably the best issue since the first.




DC:



Warlord #5. The Warlord leaves Skartaris looking for some real firepower. Meanwhile the rest of the gang is reading for the big battle.



Astro City: The Dark Age: Book Three #4. (Wildstorm) The final issue of this arc. Now bring on the one-shots.



Wednesday Comics #5 (of 16). This newspaper continues to be a real winner.






The Pick Of My Pile this week is Star Trek: Alien Spotlight: Q. I miss the Picard/Q episodes of The Next Generation. That was one thing that series (and this) done right.



Week of 8-12:



Marvel:




Uncanny X-Men #514. Utopia p.4. Continuing with Norman Osborn's Dark Avengers and Dark X-Men vs. Uncanny X-Men lead Scott Summers.




Captain America: Theater Of War: To Soldier On #1 (one-shot). A modern day tale of the price of war in Iraq.




Thor: Tales Of Asgard #4 (of 6). More Thor early tales by Smilin' Stan Lee and Jack "King" Kirby. very good with nice new coloring.




The Marvels Project #1 (of 8). The start of the Marvel universe by Brubaker and Epting. Maybe too early to say, but this looks good.




Dark Horse:



Hellboy: The Wild Hunt #5 (of 8). Finally this story is back! I hope it finishes as well as it started.



B.P.R.D.: 1947 #2. Early B.P.R.D. story featuring a different team. And art by the brothers Ba' and Moon.



IDW:



Hero Comics: A Hero Initiative Benefit Book. A very nice book benefiting creators in need with work by Howard Chaykin, David Lloyd, Gene Colan and Arthur Adams among others. This book also features Marvel characters. Where's the love DC?



Star Trek: Nero #1. A prequel of sorts to the new Trek movie. Very good start.



Starstruck #1. This first issue reminded me of Skydoll (but not in a good way).



Radical (my first Radical purchase):



Hercules: The Knives of Kush #1 (of 5). Jim Steranko cover. But the art, coloring and story are impressive. I'll be back for more.



DC:



Wednesday Comics #6 (of 16). The sixth part of these great comics. Highlights include: Batman, Kamandi, Superman, Metamorpho and Strange Adventures.








The Pick Of My Pile this week came down to a few books, including: Hercules, Star Trek : Nero, and B.P.R.D. But the pick is Captain America: Theater Of War. This book had a moving story that really hit on all cylinders. Check it out.




Keep Reading Comics.



D.L.

No comments: