Monday, August 31, 2009

Pick Of My Pile for the weeks of 8-19 and 8-26.

Hello Chums,


Besides my usual large amounts of comics that I read each week, I also try to fit in as many trades as I can. This two week period I was able to fit in three trades. The first was Tom Strong's Terrific Tales vol. 2. This nice hardcover featured the last 6 issues of the series. Good stories and art by Art Adams and Bruce Timm among others. The others trades were Powers vol. 10 Cosimic (Cosmic) and vol. 11 Secret Identity. I love the Powers series. The story arcs and art work were both very good. I can't wait to read the next one.



Week of 8-19:



Marvel:



Daredevil #500. This massive issue features a 42 page story by Brubaker and Lark, an 8 page Dark Reign primer, a 13 page story by Nocenti and Aja, 10 pages of pin-ups (featuring Geof Darrow and Rafael Grandpa), the complete issue #191 "Roulette" by Frank Miller and the 500 covers gallery. Wow, what an issue!




Punisher Noir #1. 30's era Punisher with gritty art and muted color pallet.




Stephen King The Stand: American Nightmares # 5 (of 5). This series remains very good. I look forward to the next arc.




Ultimate Avengers #1. Very good opening issue (story and art).



All Winners #1. I was looking forward to this 70th anniversary issue. And boy was I disappointed.



Punisher #8. The Punisher takes on the Avengers (and knocks out Thor with one punch.) Is this really the Avengers?



Mighty Avengers #28. I was ready to drop this book. However, I'm hanging in there for awhile longer as I like their current story arc.



IDW:



Star Trek Spock Reflections #2. More Spock solo movie tie-in.



DC:



Jack of Fables (Vertigo) #37. I haven't started to continue this book since the Fables cross-over. When I do get back to Fables and Jack I'm going to have a chunk to read.




Wednesday Comics #7. This continues to be very good but I look forward to Kamandi most of all.




Boom:



Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? What can I say about this book? Well, it's very wordy but it does have the text by Dick.




The Pick Of My Pile this week was a no-brainer. Daredevil #500 was far and away the best book this week. Check out the sweet Darrow variant cover. I got one.



Week of 8-26:

Marvel:


Halo Helljumper #2 (of 5). As the Human - Covenant war rages on, the Helljumpers are dropped on the planet Ariel. Action ensues!


Deadpool Merc With A Mouth #1. I liked issue two so much, I picked up one to see what was going on. I think this book is pretty good, but I don't need to add another monthly book.


New Avengers #56. A very nice action packed issue with the Wrecking Crew.



Beta Ray Bill Godhunter #3 (of 3). A nice conclusion to this mini-series and good value too. Each issue has a full issue reprint back-up feature. And only 4 adds! Why can't all issues be like this?



New Mutants #4. The conclusion to the opening Legion arc. Next issue: Warlock! Isn't he dead?



Dark Avengers #8 - Utopia p.5. This mini-event has actually been pretty good. Next issue the conclusion.


Stephen King - The Dark Tower: Fall of Gilead #4 (of 6). Dark Tower: heh. The Stand: Awesome.


IDW:


Doctor Who - The Time Machination (one-shot). The Doctor and H.G. Wells dodging The Torchwood Institute.


DC:

The Flash Rebirth #4. Initially I liked this series, but this issue was very dull.




Batman and Robin #3. Batman driving a (Batmaned) atv: cool. Young Robin being a tough little bastard: cool. Fighting Professor Pyg: Heh.




Wednesday Comics #8. More comic goodness continues.


The Pick Of My Pile this week was not as easy as the previous week. There were some good books, but no really great books. Dark Avengers and Beta Ray Bill were good, but my pick this week is New Avengers #56. There were some nice scenes in this issue especially the battle with the Wrecking Crew.
K.R.C.
D.L.

No comments: