Tuesday, October 30, 2012

NEW YORK COMIC CON '12


 Inside the con. The BEST Batmobile!

Hi Friends,

After a seven week absence, I'm back. Sorry for the radio silence. I've been reading a few comic books and trades as always. And watched some movies and TV (The Walking Dead, The Talking Dead and Comic Book Men).








 



 Time Square.



The big news is I went to the New York Comic Con again. As the San Diego Comic Con has gotten too huge and impossible to attend (130,000 people), I have pretty much switched up my allegiance to New York. Don't read in here that New York is small. New York is a big show (116,00 people), but getting a ticket, airfare, food and hotel is much easier.










The Amazing Chip Kidd.






New York is missing a few things that make San Diego so cool. Namely night time programming that include movies, gaming, the kick-ass costume contest and of course the Eisner awards. And of course the beautiful weather.










 Charles Burns and Chris Ware.



But New York is closing the gap on other things like a massive dealers room and large Artist Alley. The Artist Alley was held in a separate room this year and was huge. San Diego could learn from this. San Diego still is by far the king when it comes to programming (panel) rooms. However New York has made some serious strides.













The main entrance of the Dakota.






Shops many levels deep inside Penn Station.

When I was in New York this year I also went to three book stores: Jim Hanley's Universe, Forbidden Planet and Strand. During my time at Strand they had a three man panel, meet and greet/signing. The authors/artists/designers were Chip Kidd, Charles Burns and Chris Ware. I brought some of my favorite works from each creator and got them signed. This was definitely a high light of my trip. 


My Woody Allen sandwich at Carnegie Deli.

 Other high lights include: walking through central park, eating at Carnegie Deli and going to Grand Central Terminal. I also went to the Dakota where John Lennon lived.


Check out some photos.



Keep Reading Comics.


D.L.

No comments: