Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Kansas City Con report

Hello Chums,

Once again Scott, Wayne and I took the five hour (one way) car trip to Kansas City, Kansas. Of course the main reason to go was Planet Comicon, but we also hit three half price books stores and had some decent food too.


As far as the con goes, it was as good or better than last years show. Planet Comicon features a nice blend of retailers and guests that (unfortunately) the OKC show will probably never get. For the size of the show the artist alley is incredible. Unlike OKC, this show features multiple rows of guests that I had actually heard of. And new this year: the panels were in a side room where you could actually hear the guests speak. Yes!


Highlights of the show for me:
Meeting Eric Powell, getting my Goon books signed, getting a Goon sketch in my sketch book, and picking up an Eric Powell sketch book.
Meeting Bernie Wrightson and Bruce Jones and getting my Freak Show book signed.
Meeting and getting comics/graphic novels/trades signed by: Bernie Wrightson, Kurt Busiek, B. Clay Moore, Tony Moore, Jeremy Haun, Ande Park and Jason Aaron.
Meeting and talking at great length to Walter Day - Owner of Twin Galaxies Arcade and keeper of all the world records of (arcade) video games - He was featured in the movie King Of Kong.
Getting a really nice copy of Doc Savage - The Man of Bronze on DVD.


There was plenty of cool merchdise to check out at the show. But try as I did, I was not able to go through all the back issues. With just 13 total show hours over two days, two days is almost not long enough. I had to miss a couple of panels I would have liked to have gone to because of needed time on the show floor. I did however manage to pick up numerous comics, trades, and graphic novels at great prices.


All in all, another great (quick, [two days]) con.

See you at conventions and K.R.C. (keep reading comics)!

D.L.

No comments: