Monday, July 20, 2009

Pick Of My Pile for the week of 7-01.

Hey Chums,



Sorry for the drought on Pick Of My Pile. I've been very busy working on my mini-comic that I'm taking to the San Diego Comic-Con. That comic (which is now done) will be posted soon, after I'm back from San Diego.




Now that we have a Half Price Books here in the city, (I've spent a lot of time and money there) I've picked up numerous odd ball trades. One I want to mention is Dan Clowes' excellent David Boring. Check it out.


I wanted to mention one more thing. Do not miss Wednesday Comics from DC. It's a newspaper that's the size of a comic book that unfolds to gigantic 14"x20" pages. Each issue (or paper) features 16 different stories of high and low profile characters by great creative teams. NOT TO BE MISSED!




On to my purchases.




Marvel:




Marvel Spotlight: Captain America. A very good interview issue.


Captain America Reborn #1. I think that they could have left him dead longer, but what the heck he was going to come back eventually. I'm on board for this limited series.


Fantastic Four #568. This is about the end of Millar and Hitch's run. I think it's been pretty good. I'm going to miss it a little.


Agents Of Atlas #7. I just keep picking up this book (the Hardman artwork is great). If Hardman leaves the book I'm out. As long as he stays I'm probably in.


Uncanny X-Men #513. Utopia p.2. New cast of characters. I guess I'm on board to see what The White Queen's up to.


Dark Horse:


Witchfinder #1. The story of Sir Edward Grey by Mignola, Stenbeck and Stewart. Good so far.


IDW:


Star Trek: The Wrath Of Khan #3. The conclusion of the story to the best Trek movie, until this years.


DC:


Batman and Robin #2. More greatness from Morrison and Quitely. The art is amazing. This is a must read.


Astro City: The Dark Age: book 3 #3. (Wildstorm) More of Charles and Royal Williams.


Greek Street #1 (Vertigo). A very violent, twisted adult book. Not for the squeamish or moralistic do-gooders.


The Pick Of My Pile this week came down to two books: Captain America Reborn and Batman and Robin. While I like Reborn, Batman and Robin can't be beat. Check it out.
I'll be back after San Diego with some more picks.
Keep Reading Comics.
D.L.

No comments: