Thursday, April 12, 2012

2012 - End of Week 14 - Books.



Greetings Friends,



I've read two more books in my quest.



Book #8 (of 12) Solstice by Steven T. Seagle and Justin Norman.



This story is told through flash backs of Hugh Waterhouse. Hugh is the teenage son of Russell Waterhouse, an over bearing adventurer who will stop at nothing to find the Fountain of Youth. His pursuit of the fountain has drove away his wife, splinter his relationship with his son and ended many of friendships. Do they find the fountain? Maybe. But at what cost?



I picked up Solstice from writer Steven T. Seagle at Planet Comic Con in Kansas City. I didn't know anything about the book before buying it. I just bought it because I liked Mr. Seagle's work on Sandman Mystery Theater. Was it a good purchase? Yes and no. While the story is okay, the black and white artwork is very nice. Mr. Norman's inks bring a lot of depth to the story and at times creates a nice suspenseful, creepy atmosphere.



Book #9 (of 12) Ed The Happy Clown by Chester Brown.



What is this? I first heard about this book on a podcast I listen to. The pod caster raved about how good this Chester Brown book is. So when I saw it at Planet Comic Con I thought I'd give it a shot. Man am I happy I did.



Chester Brown's indie style artwork may not be the best around. But meshed with this crazy story it works very well. I don't know if I could explain what this book is about. Let's just say it involves Ed (the clown), a man who couldn't stop (shitting), a dismembered hand, some killings, some scientists, a penis with a head that talks, a resurrection or two, nudity, sex, violence, a pocket universe, some imps and President Ronald Reagan. All those components wove into a really funny, fast moving, page turning story. Very good. My Highest Recommendation!



Keep Reading Comics.



D.L.

No comments: