Monday, September 10, 2007

Bring Back Barry



Hello Chums,

When someone from Oklahoma writes a blog called Bring Back Barry, You might guess it would be about Barry Switzer. Although I'm a Sooner fan, this post is about comic books.

You see, I've been collecting comic books for about 35 years. Recently, I lucked into finding and buying the first comic book I ever owned. Fantastic Four #24. It had been a little tough to figure out what book it was because I couldn't remember the cover image and only some of the interior panels. I had my copy when I was 4 or 5 years old. That was quite a few years ago. Yes my new copy is very rough, but after flipping through my original copy countless times it was very rough too. Why spend a lot of money, when I can buy a copy that's comparable to the one I owned? This copy even has mustaches drawn on the characters like I would have done. The funny thing is I bought it at my Local Comic book Store (LCS), New World Comics.

I've been shopping at New World Comics since 1981. When I found out a comic book store was opening 3 blocks from my house, I couldn't believe it. I went by everyday after school and looked in their windows. I couldn't wait for opening day. On that fateful day, I ran to the store after school. I rushed inside. I couldn't wait to check out the merchandise. The store owners told me that I was their second customer (the first guy was just asking for directions.)

Since 1981, I have spent a lot of time and money at New World Comics. Why do I continue to shop there? I don't live down the block anymore. As an adult I can spend my money anywhere. If it's not because of their location, is it the stock? No. It's because of the people.

You see, going to New World was kind of like Norm going into the bar on the TV show "Cheers." You know, "where everyone knows your name." I'd walk in and I'd get: Hey Dave, how's it going? There would always be great talk about comics, movies or whatever. Usually some serious nerd talk. It was great stuff for my formative years.

Early on, New World management hired their first New World kid to sweep up and take out the trash. His name was Barry. Now Barry was a couple years older than me. He was well read (not just in comics), knew a lot about movies and a lot of other things. Over the years, Barry moved up the ladder to store manager. During this time, we had great conversations about all kinds of things. But it wasn't just me, I'd walk in and Barry would be in deep conversation with other customers. Barry became so popular customers would always ask for him. I began to wonder: Did Barry bring in customers? Or was it the comics? Was he bigger than the store? Could he open his own store and take all of New World's customers? Unfortunately my questions would ultimately be answered.

After an almost 15 year run, the New World owner let Barry go. He said he couldn't afford him any more (it was after the comic market bust). I personally took this news very hard. Barry and I were buddies. I wasn't going to let this happen. I had to do something. My friend Scott and I decided to try something. We made up fliers that said "Bring Back Barry" and placed his picture on it. We then hung fliers around the area of the shop. Nothing happened with the fliers except Barry asked us to take them down. He was ready to try something knew (and not even open his own store.) A very sad time in New World history.

There have been other New World kids or employees. But not another Barry. You can't replace a "fixture" so easily. And all those customers I used to see in the store talking to Barry? They're all gone now of course. But so is the original owner. He sold the shop to one of the newer New World kids. I've been shopping at the store longer than the new owner has been alive.

I've checked out all the other LCS' around town, none of them feel right. Even though the conversations don't seem as interesting, I'll continue to shop at New World. Maybe out of habit. Maybe I'm just getting old. Hey, It's hard to make a change after 26 years and I am their second customer!

So for the last time: Bring Back Barry!

D.L.

No comments: