Friday, September 28, 2007

I'm Wanted (dead or alive)

Hello Chums,

I just finished reading Wanted by Mark Millar and JG Jones.

Mark Millar (probably best known for his work on The Ultimates) has crafted a tale that is reminiscent of a Garth Ennis story. It's a very twisted story with an assortment of oddball characters. With so many new characters though, (they're not the Justice League or the Avengers) I would have preferred more character development. We find out almost nothing about several of the big players in the story. A little more back story (through flashbacks or dialogue) could have added some much needed depth. As it is, the series is packed into 6 issues, but with so much story to tell, I wish it was 8-10.

JG Jones photo referenced art style works well with this story. Several characters bear striking resemblances to known celebrities: Marshall Mathers (M&M)? as Wesley Gibson, Halle Berry? as the Fox and Tommy Lee Jones? as The Killer. All nicely done.

All in all, I think there is enough here to make a decent movie. When was the last time there was great character development in an action movie anyway? As a comic reader, we just expect a little more.

If you want to read the story before seeing the movie, pick up the trade (trade paperback). It has a nice section of character bios and art from many of today's top artists.

But what's the story about? It features your basic loser (Wesley Gibson) down on his luck in life. Terrible job, no-good girl friend and father that left soon after he was born. Then things start to change for him. He meets a woman named Fox who tells him his runaway father is dead. And oh yeah, he was the most deadly supervillian the world has ever known, The Killer.

It seems in 1986, all the world's super bad guys banded together to kill all the super heroes. They then divided the Earth into 5 areas, each ran by a family, Mafia style. Fast forward to today. With the Killer dead and gone, his "family" train young Wes to be the next Killer. Does Wes embrace the life of a criminal? What do you think?

I picked the trade up while in Chicago at the con. Mr. Millar was at the con all weekend. So I decided I would have him sign it. I was headed into the con one morning when I saw him get into a taxi. Since I knew his signing was scheduled in about an hour, I didn't think he would make it. Sure enough, it was announced that his signing was changed to later in the day. Of course I didn't make that one. Oh well. His excuse? He was off to have lunch downtown with Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt and Timur Bermambetov (the director of Wanted). Hey, you've got to have your priorities straight.

The casting of Wanted (the movie) is suspect. I mean I known the producers want to cast actors that will carry a movie (to the bank.) But come on, in the book Fox is a black woman that looks like Halle Berry. Angelina Jolie: white. This reminds me of two recent comic book movie casting blunders. #1 In Catwoman, Selina Kyle is played by Halle Berry. #2 In Daredevil, the Kingpin is played by Michael Clark Duncan. Two really bad choices (along with the scripts.) Bad casting can really kill a movie for this fanboy.

I just hope The (original) Killer looks like Tommy Lee Jones.

D.L.

No comments: