Monday, September 17, 2007

Secret Agent Man


Hello Chums,
I've been reading comics a long time. I can't get enough of them. I would consider myself more of a Marvel guy than a DC guy. I also like James Bond movies. So Nick Fury, Agent Of S.H.I.E.L.D. should be a slam dunk right? No, not really.
I never really knew much about Nick Fury. Sure I saw him here or there in the Marvel universe but I never paid much attention to him. I mean, he didn't even have super powers. What's to like?
Awhile back I started reading a lot of Garth Ennis books (The Preacher,The Punisher), which lead me his other works which included a couple of Nick Fury limited series. I really enjoyed those so I decided to investigate Colonel Fury a bit further. I picked up the Nick Fury, Agent Of S.H.I.E.L.D. trade at W.W. Chicago this year. I've had my eye on it awhile and decided at 40% off it was time to buy.
Flipping through the book I realized that the art was very good for something produced in the 60's. The coloring is amazing (though not original.) Altogether a nice package with high production values.

And the story? A very good 60's secret agent story. Fury goes up against A.I.M., Hydra, Baron Strucker and the Yellow Claw while saving the world. Just like all the great Bond movies, Fury has plenty of gadgets, a fancy car and a couple of babes. And an agent that makes a cameo appearance bares a striking resemblance to Sean Connery's Bond. Good stuff.
Highly Recommended.
D.L.

No comments: