Monday, January 7, 2008

My First Review Of The Year!


Hello Chums,




When I read comics as a kid, I started off reading single character comic books. You know Yang, House of Yang, Richard Dragon Kung Fu Fighter ( all martial artist titles too). The more I read though, I quickly realized I could get more bang for my buck by reading ensemble books. About that same time I switched over to Marvel comics. I started reading The Avengers and then The X-Men. Both titles had so many cool characters, I didn't have to read a single character book again. I mean I could read about Iron Man, Captain America and Thor in the pages of The Avengers without buying their books. And of course The X-Men was the hottest group title going.




Now I know ensemble books don't have the highest amount of character development, but I was a kid. I didn't need the characters sitting around talking about their feelings. I wanted a lot of action and that's what I got.




Now that I can afford to buy as many books I want a month, I actually prefer the single character books. The stories generally have a lot more depth. They are (usually) more rewarding.




So where is this going? Well I never really read Daredevil. He was never part of any team I read. So I've been catching up on him lately through trades.


The relaunch of Daredevil has been going on a few years now. The first arc was written by Kevin Smith. Yes that Kevin Smith (Mallrats, Clerks, Dogma, etc..) The art is by Joe Quesada and Jimmy Palmiotti. Read on. Spoilers ahead.


This is another story about Daredevil that brings him down almost as low as one man can go. The story starts off with a young girl bringing her new born into the office of Matt Murdock. The young lady explains to Murdock (Daredevil) that there is no father and she is a virgin. Meaning this baby is special. She hands over the baby to him and bolts. Of course not knowing what to do with a baby he gives it to the Black Widow to take care of. What? The Black Widow. Does this make any sense? No.


Before long we find out that there are multiple sides looking for this special baby. A Nicholas Macabes meets with Murdock and convinces him that this baby is the Anti-Christ. Daredevil attempts to kill it but is stopped by the Black Widow.


Along the way Matt Murdock's friends fall victim to bad luck by being associated to him while he protects the child. Law partner Franklin "Foggy" Nelson arrested for murder. Girlfriend Karen Page finds out she has aids. How much worse can it get?


The Daredevil (hurt from a fall) takes the child to the church. Maggie (a nun and Matt Murdock's mom) looks after them while he recovers. And that's when our story takes a turn for the worse. Enter Bullseye.


Bullseye, hired by Nicholas Macabes, is there to take the infant. Nuns are killed. The Daredevil is beaten badly. But before he can kill Daredevil, Karen Page offers Bullseye a deal: Take the baby and walk away. Of course it's a fake baby. Maggie makes a getaway with the real baby but doesn't make it. Bullseye takes the real baby and leaves. But before he leaves, he throws Daredevil's club back to him striking Karen Page in the heart. She dies in Daredevils arms.


After loosing his long time love, Matt Murdock goes through a deep depression even contemplating suicide. What finally gets him out of his funk? How about a little payback! Daredevil shakes down a local hood in the know for an address of Bullseye's employer. That address is to Nicholas Macabes. Let the good times roll!


Turns out Nicholas Macabes is really Mysterio. It also turns out Quentin Beck (Mysterio) has cancer. The same chemicals that he has been using for disguises and smoke have been poisoning him. With little time remaining he decides to take down Daredevil. During their confrontation, Daredevil gets the best of him. Daredevil gets the child back and Quintin Beck kills himself.


The baby ends up being just a regular baby after all. Franklin Nelson gets out off jail and re-teams with Matt Murdock. Daredevil and Black Widow even make up. All's well that ends well. Except Karen Page is still dead.


Is this story deep? Way deeper than any ensemble book. It is a long story though. Eight issues. Most arcs now days are 4 to 6. Did I like? Yes. I may even pick up some more trades. Although this is the only one written by Smith.


Although I like Quesada's art for covers. I found it a bit to cartoony for this gritty tale.


Story:A- Art:B-


Until next time. K.R.C. (keep reading comics)


D.L.

No comments: