Sunday, April 12, 2009

Pick Of My Pile for the week of 4-8.

Hello Chums,


With my last post, some of you might think I was being too hard on Marvel Comics. However, if you have been reading my posts, you know I prefer Marvel Comics to DC something like 5 to 1. And the DC comics that I do buy are still $2.99. I just hope everyone doesn't follow suit and increase their prices by a $1.00. I for one will do some serious cutting back.


On to my picks.


Marvel:


Ultimate Wolverine Vs The Hulk #4 (of 6). Jennifer Walters and Betty Ross together to try to help The Hulk. So why is Betty The She-Hulk and not Jennifer?


Stephen King - The Dark Tower - Guide to Gilead (one shot). More Jae Lee art with no backgrounds. Who does he think he is - John Byrne?


DC:


The Warlord #1. Written by Mike Grell! Cover by Mike Grell! Interior art not by Mike Grell - bummer. However this is a very good first issue.


IDW:


Star Trek - Missions End #2. Kirk & Co. continue their "last" mission with the spider society.


Dark Horse:


B.P.R.D. - The Black Goddess #4 (of 5). More Great Guy Davis art. And the stories okay too.


The Pick Of My Pile this week is very easy. The Warlord was always one of my very favorite books growing up. (I really DISLIKED the miss-fire DC launched a couple of years ago - without Grell) This new book has (#1) Mike Grell back. But it also has a decent start with The Warlord (Travis Morgan), Tara (his wife?), Shakira (his cat/lover), Tinder (his son), and the mention of Machiste (his best friend). As soon as the story moves to Skartaris, action ensues.


I met Mike Grell (for the first time) at San Diego last year at the Comic-con. As he was signing my comics, he told me he was coming back to DC comics to write The Warlord. I wish I would have asked him: For how long? Let's hope it's a good long while.


K.R.C.


D.L.

No comments: