Monday, May 4, 2009

Pick Of My Pile for the weeks of 4-22 and 4-29.

Hello Chums,



On to my purchases.



Week of 4-22:



Marvel:



Marvels: Eye Of The Camera #5 (of 6). This has been a well written and drawn limited series. I'm going to hate to see it (and Phil Sheldon) go.



The Mighty Avengers #24. I keep saying this but, I need to drop this title - eventually. I might after this arc.




The New Avengers #52. Okay, I haven't said this yet but, this book is officially on the chopping block now. It's just not doing it for me right now. Can it be saved?




The Immortal Iron Fist #25. This book has lost some steam since Brubaker and Fraction have left. I hear it's set to be canceled. Wanting to drop books, I guess that's okay with me.



Astonishing X-Men #29. This book is not "ASTONISHING" anymore. The title should have been placed on the back-burner ready to go if Whedon and Cassaday should ever return. Similarly, The Ultimates should have been reserved for the return of Millar and Hitch.




Kick Ass #6 (ICON). The Secret Origin of Big Daddy and Hit Girl. Nice story and art. I will gladly continue to buy this.



DC:



Jack of Fables #33. I'm going to hold off and read all nine parts of this Great Fables Crossover all at once. I hope it is great. If not chopping block!




Detective Comics #853. The conclusion to "Whatever Happened To The Caped Crusader?". This story was crap! I don't need or want stories like this.




DDP:



I am Legion #3 (of 6). Just when I think I know what's going on, this issue proves me wrong. That's the difference between a 4 issue and a 6 issue limited series. More (and confusing) twists and turns with the plot.



Image:





Elephantmen #18. Nice story. But very nice markered(?) art by Marian Churchland. Her art fit the story perfectly. I hope she stays and does a few more issues.




Even though Marvels: Eye Of The Camera was very strong this week, The Pick Of My Pile is Elephantmen #18. Check out the variant sketch cover by J Scott Campbell. I got one.




Week of 4-29:



Marvel:



Dark Reign: The Cabal (one-shot). Five stories revolving around The Cabal.



Uncanny X-Men #509. The return of Psylocke should be cause for my approval, but I find this arc (and direction) booooring. Come on Fraction!



Ultimate Wolverine vs Hulk #5 (of 6). Only a slightly better issue than last month.




Captain America: Theater Of War - A Brother In Arms (one-shot). A very nice W.W.2 Cap story.





Avengers / Invaders #10 (of 12). Even though I don't care for this story being in current continuity, this is still a good story that keeps getting better with each issue.




The Pick Of My Pile this week is Avengers / Invaders #10. W.W.2, Union Jack, Spitfire, The Red Skull and the Cosmic Cube - Nuff Said! Oh Yeah, Captain America telling Iron Man that fighting friends (in The Civil War for your Nation) was difficult but the right thing to do.



K.R.C.



D.L.

No comments: