Monday, November 16, 2009

Pick Of My Pile for the week of 11-11.

Hello Chums,





I read three trades this week: Ex Machina vol. 1 & 2 (both good) and 100 Bullets vol. 1. Some people may hate the process (and possibly the end result) but I find Tony Harris' art on Ex Machina very appealing. Nice clean lines. The Risso art of 100 Bullets, on the other hand, is anything but a nice clean line. Although it takes some getting used to, the art does work with the story.



On to my pile.



Marvel:



Punisher Max #1. What can I say? If Garth Ennis can't write The Punisher, Jason Aaron is a great choice. Steve Dillon art too! Excellent!



Sky Doll - Doll Factory #1 (of 2). Very nice pencil pages of the Sky Doll mini-series.



Dark Horse:



Hellboy - The Wild Hunt #8 (of 8). The conclusion of the best Hellboy story in years.



B.P.R.D. 1947 #5 (of 5). The conclusion of a nice little story with art by Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon.



IDW:



Jon Sable Free Lance - Ash of Eden #2. Not knowing anything about Jon Sable I'm going to hang in there for this arc. Hey it is written and drawn by one of my all time favorites - Mike Grell.



The Ghoul #1. I only picked this book up because it is drawn by another old favorite of mine - Bernie Wrightson. Although Wrightson's artwork is okay, it's definitely not up there with his illustration work. I'll hang in there for a little while.



Star Trek Romulans Schism #3. John Byrne is in over his head on this Star Trek arc. I couldn't tell from the last panel if this was the final issue or not. Probably not since it's issue #3, but who knows?



DDP:



The Zombies That Ate The World #6 (of 8). Okay, the artwork is great, but the stories are getting progressively worse. End this already.



ONI:



Resurrection #5. An okay book but I read too many okay books. It's officially back on my death watch.



DC:

Batman and Robin #6. Okay, Quitely is doing the covers but when is he back on the interiors? DC needs to get this fixed or it will be dropped!



Batman / Doc Savage Special #1 (one-shot). I've loved Doc Savage since Jr. High. So DC bringing him back to start a new world (First Wave) set in the 30's sounds like a can't miss. Throwing in Batman (a non-powered super hero) sounded okay too. But then DC had to go and ruin it by adding some old has-beens (Justice Inc., The Blackhawks) and a character that doesn't fit into current continuity (The Spirit). And why o' why are they placing Black Canary and some jungle girl in the mix? This looks like a disaster to me.



The Pick Of My Pile this week was very easy. With Punisher Max #1, Jason Aaron has set in motion a whole new story line that features The Kingpin! Cool! This is head and shoulders above all other books.



K.R.C.



D.L.

No comments: