Saturday, January 14, 2012

2012: Weeks 1 and 2.







Greetings Friends,







I'm two weeks in on my new challenge. Check out my reads.







First is my graphic novel challenge. I've read three of the twenty I need to read.









Graphic Novel #1: First up is Whatever Happened To The World of Tomorrow? I can't recommend this book enough. The author, Brian Fies, has woven a nice decades spanning tale of increasing technology from the 1939 World's Fair to our future. Nicely done.









Graphic Novel #2: Cat's Are Weird And More Observations by Jeffery Brown. I'm not a cat guy but I am a huge fan of Jeffery Brown's work. His cat drawing are cartoon cute. And their mannerisms are spot on. This book switches between shaded black and white and color markers. Brown also throws in a few still life cat drawings. Very nice.







Graphic Novel #3. Incredible Change-Bots Two by Jeffery Brown. Another Jeffery Brown book? YES! This is the followup, sequel to Incredible Change-Bots. This book is an homage to the transformer toys (if not the movies). This is a nicely drawn and markered book that features the "evil" Fantasticons versus the "nice" Awesomebots. Check it out.





Of my twelve other books, I've read one.






Book #1: Music for Mechanics vol.1 of The Complete Love and Rockets by Los Bros Hernandez. What is it? Black and white, wordy and I'm not really sure what else. Everyone seems to love this series. I'm not feeling it at all after reading this first volume. However, I wont throw in the towel just yet. I'll read vol.2 then we'll see.





On to the single issue comic book challenge to read 500 comics.





#1. Fatale #1.



#2. Batman Detective Comics #5.



#3. Omac #5.


#4. The Li'l Depressed Boy #8.


#5. Star Trek - Legion of Super-Heroes #4.



#6. Cold War #4.



#7. Warlord of Mars - Dejah Thoris #9.



#8. Fear Itself - The Fearless #6.



#9. The Avengers Annual #1.


#10. The Punisher #7.



#11. True Blood - The French Quarter #5.


#12. Batwoman #5.



#13. Punisher Max #21.



#14. Lobster Johnson - The Burning Hand #1! It's about time.



#15. Stephen King - The Stand - The Night Has Come #6. The final issue of King's best book. This series was an amazing accomplishment from Aguirre-Sacasa, Perkins and Martin. Highly recommended!





Okay, just 485 comic books to go.




That was a very entertaining two weeks.



On to Smallville.



Keep Reading Comics.




D.L.

No comments: