Sunday, June 7, 2009

Pick Of My Pile for the week of 5-28.

Hello Chums,



I've been reading a crap load of comics since my return from my vacation. Let's get right to it.



Marvel:



Avengers / Invaders #11. Soon this series will wrap up with issue #12. I'm not going to miss it, but it has been an alright read. The Alex Ross covers didn't hurt either.



Uncanny X-Men #510. I have not been on board with this title since Brubaker left, but this issue was very good in an old school X-Men sort of way. PS: It looks like Phoenix is coming back next issue. We'll see. This is another book that will be dropped when Fraction leaves.



The Immortal Iron Fist #26. The book is on my death watch.



The New Avengers #54. I absolutely hate the comic book sorcery/occult stories set in the main stream world. They just turn me off. This story line involving Dr. Strange is just about enough to make me drop this book.



The Stand - American Nightmares #3 (of 5). Another winner of an issue with Larry Underwood and Rita Blakemoor leaving the Big Apple through the Lincoln Tunnel. A very scary 1.5 miles in the dark.



Ultimate Wolverine VS. Hulk #6 (of 6). What happened to this Limited series? Lost boss Damon Lindelof started out with a bang with the first two issues. He then took 3+ years off before giving us this very weak story. Did someone else ghost write these last four issues? Total Suckatude!



Wolverine #72. The continuation of Old Man Logan. Okay, so I'm (of course) not real happy with the waits on this story arc (the fact that issue #73 arrived before #72 is ridiculous), however this issue is by far the best yet. This story is to be concluded in Wolverine Old Man Logan Giant-Sized. I can't wait.



Spider-Man and The Human Torch in Bahia de los Muertos! (oneshot). Okay, so this story has been out for a while now - March? However my copy was in Spanish. When I was in Syracuse, New York I went to Cloud City Comics. There I found an English language copy. Why the hoopla to own this book in Spanish or even English? Because it's written by one of my favorite creators Tom Beland. This is another very nice story which takes place in Puerto Rico much like his previous story featuring Ben Grimm and his creator owned title True Story Swear To God. Check them out.



Image:



Back To Brooklyn #5 (of 5). The final twisted ending!



Dark Horse:



The Amazon 1-3. This limited series, drawn by one of my favorites Tim Sale, is about one man's fight to save the Amazon rain forest. Originally published in '89 by Comico. Now it's back from Dark Horse comics re-colored by Matt Hollingsworth.



Vertigo:



Fables - The Literals #2. Continuing The Great Fables crossover.








The Pick Of My Pile this week was a very challenging pick. With strong contenders from The Stand, Spider-man and The Human Torch and The Amazon, the pick wasn't easy. But my pick is Wolverine #72. This Old Man Logan issue was fantastic. Check out the art- it's great. And finally something happened. Check out the Red Skull's trophy room. Yes this idea was already used in The Hulk Future Imperfect but it is still cool anyway.




K.R.C.




D.L.

No comments: