Monday, June 29, 2009

Pick Of My Pile for the week of 6-24.

Hello Chums,


Being sort of a light week in comic buying and reading, I was able to get in some extra reading. I read the Omega The Unknown 10 issue limited series (nicely drawn), The Joker graphic novel (drawn but with nice painted pieces mixed in) and Powers trades vols. 8 & 9 (great as always). Now to my picks.


Marvel:


New Avengers #54. Thankfully the last issue of this story arc. Not my last issue. I guess.


Avengers / Invaders #12 (of 12). Quite a let down of an ending. Did I miss something? Maybe I need to read all 12 issues together for this to be good (or memorable even). Naa. Last issue. Alriiiiiight!


The Immortal Iron Fist #27. The last issue of this series. It was never as good as it was after Brubaker and Fraction left. Last issue! However, I will check out Immortal Weapons by Jason Aaron when that hits.


Astonishing X-Men #30. With the circled X emblem at the bottom of the last page, this may be the last issue. Let's hope! I've said it before and I'll say it again, this title should have been put on hold until Whedon and Cassaday wanted to come back to it. Since they left, this title hasn't been very astonishing.


Uncanny X-Men #512. Even though I haven't cared much for this story line, this 38 page issue wrapped it up nicely. Way to go Fraction. I'm back on board. But wait. Unless I'm wrong this book goes right into Dark X-Men. I'm not sure if I'll be picking that up.


DC/ Vertigo:


The Literals #3. The Great Fables Crossover p. 9 (of 9). I'll read all of this when I get caught up on my Fables (trade) reading.


IDW:


Star Trek: Mission's End #4 (of 5). Continuing one of the weirdest Trek tales I've either read or watched.


Desperado:


The Actress and The Bishop #1. Story and art by Brian Bolland. First of all, a Desperado comic? Bought by me? This has got to be first Desperado comic for The Pick Of My Pile. And what a comic it is. First of all, the art is veery nice. No color but some grey tones. Very nice. But the three stories (worded to rhyme), are great, especially The Thing In The Shed.


The Pick Of My Pile this week came down to two books: Uncanny X-Men and The Actress and The Bishop. Both were good but the nod goes to The Actress and The Bishop. It was an unexpectedly fun book that I highly recommend.


K.R.C.


D.L.

5 comments:

Jake Bunton said...

Hey David- how've you been? Thought I'd share my new reads with you- I really enjoyed hitting the shops with you. Incognito- great recommend-enjoying it so far
Punisher Dark Reign #6- not sure how all these undead villians are going to play out- we'll see. Mighty Avengers-Pym vs. Richards-good story line-have to see what Jocasta has become-lot of artists-reminded me of John Byrne. Hulk#12-Looked more interesting than it was-art too cartoony. Superman/Batman#61-ok story-liked the art especially Batman's look-very retro(Francis Manapul-never heard of him). Potter's Field#1-looked interesting and was- Mark Waid/Paul Azaceta team-Boom Studios, cop drama. Action comics annual#12-getting tired of the whole arc-bring Superman back already! Streets of Gotham#1-everything ok-we'll see if I keep it.Captain America#600-whole lot of nothing as far as I'm concerned. New Avengers#54-Billy Tan's art is pretty good but story line is lame-ready to drop it. Avengers Initiative#25-ditto, never a huge fan of Ramos' art-too manga. It's sad- The Avengers was always one of my favorite books. picked up Warmachine#7 just for kicks, what's with these multiple artist teams? 3-4 guys? I won't pick up another. Invincible Iron Man#14-interesting plot, will keep going with this-always liked Iron Man. Fraction/Larocca team looks solid. Lastly- my comic shop guy recommended Daredevil's new arc-Return of the Kingpin. I was never a huge fan of Daredevil but #'s 117-119 is good. Art's a little gritty but it fits the book, another 3 man team. Ed Brubacker writer, very interesting. Write me back, let me know what you think. Take care, Jake

Jake Bunton said...

Hi David, here's my comments on this weeks picks
Batman & Robin#2-like the art-Frank Quitely, intersting plot, I would like Dick to toughen up a bit.
Justice League Cry for Justice#1-Love the art-Mauro Cascioli-reminds me of Alex Ross painted art-love the splash pages with Green Lantern & Superman-not sure of the plot- the players seem pretty obscure-Congorilla? We'll see where it goes.
Invincible Iron Man #13,15-seems decent, we'll see what happens.
justice League#34-end of the Starbreaker arc-about time-weak book I'm afraid-too bad-another of my childhood favorites.
Picked up Astonishing XMen#30 just to see what's going on-great art-Simone Bianchi but plot still no good, won't continue.
Utopia#1-Expected more from Fraction & Silvestri, I'm mutanted out I'm afraid. Picked up Uncanny#513, second book in Utopia arc, may not see it through.
Dark Wolverine#75-picked it up thinking it was a Wolverine senior book but interesting.I didn't know he had his own book besides Origins.
Superman#689-More Mon-El, no Superman-tiresome.
Detective Comics#854- Batwoman-not crazy about her sexual preferences, great colors in the art, not sure of the artist.
Flash rebirth #'s 1-3-picked them up based on my shop guy's recommendation-ok-not earth shattering, we'll see how it goes.
Dark Avengers 4-6-another recommendation- like it. Are we ever going to see just what The Sentry can do?
Captain America Reborn #1-More build-up-lots of artists-hope it is good.
Finally-Fantastic 4 #566-568-another recomendation-I expected a better artist but decent plot.
Let me know what you are reading.
Take care
Jake

D. L. Nelson said...

Hey Jake,
It's good to hear from you. I'm just now getting to my blog for the first time in a couple of weeks, sorry for the delay. Wow where to start? You have quite a list.First of all I'm totally on board with The Punisher. Remender and Opena can do no wrong. As far as The New Avengers and The Mighty Avengers I'm about ready to drop them.I picked up Hulk 7-9? with Art Adams art (it was great) but have since dropped it. Same with Superman/Batman. I have never heard of Potter's Field and know nothing about Streets of Gotham (I'm Totally Out Of The Bat-verse-except Batman and Robin). However I really enjoyed Cap #600. Brubaker is a favorite of mine. Even though I don't read Iron Man, I agree Fraction is a very solid writer.I haven't really ever read any War Machine but I've Read quite a bit of Daredevil and usually like it. And I also prefer gritty art on street level stories. As far as Batman and Robin - Love it! Story Great! Art Great! I hope they do 12 or more issues. I like the Flash rebirth. But I dropped Justice League when Turner quit doing the covers. I wasn't real happy with the team, except I liked the inclusion of the Red Tornado. Always liked him when I was a kid. As far as Astonishing X-Men goes, they should have stopped when they were ahead. It's not the same (or as good) without Whedon and Cassaday doing the book. IT'S THEIR BOOK! I have high hopes for Cap rebirth. The art is good so far. It's done by Bryan Hitch (who did Ultimates 1 & 2 and is currently doing FF).As for things I'd recommend: The new IDW Star Trek books are always good. Guy Davis' The Zombies That Ate The World is good. Hellboy, B.P.R.D., Elephantmen, Astro City and The Warlord are all good. Check them out. Talk to you later.

Jake Bunton said...

Hey David, thanks for taking the time to write me back. Sorry it took me so long to write back. I'll give you my reads from last week (7/8).
Batman#688-Good issue, Bagley is a good artist but what struck me is how bright and vibrant the colors were, very rich and almost liquid-looking? Not the usual Batman fare-maybe you can shed some light on the difference-colorist?Inker? Let me know what you think.
Green Lantern#43-Prologue to "Blackest Night". Good art-Doug Mahake? Don't know him. Twisted origin-good build-up, I'm looking for an excuse to start reading GL again-always like Hal Jordan.
Punisher#72-Fun on the Bayou-disturbing story-it's funny, I'm not crazy about the art overall but I love the way he draws Frank.
Dark Xmen#1- glutton for punishment I guess- interesting scene between Namor & Osborne.
Xmen Legacy#226-More Utopia-I want to see the fight between Colossus and Venom. Good fight between Rogue and the Dark Ms. Marvel.
That's it for now, Take care.
Jake

D. L. Nelson said...

Hey Jake, Good to hear from you again. Man I'm so far out of the DC loop. I'm not currently reading Batman or Green Lantern right now. As far as Punisher goes I read those strictly in the trades (the last one I read was Girls In White Dresses). I think that the new writer was okay. I'm not picking up X-men Legacy or Dark X-Men, but I am picking up Uncanny and Utopia both of which are so-so. I really like the new Batman and Robin.