Monday, June 22, 2009

Pick Of My Pile for the week of 6-17.

Hello Chums,




This week along with my regular comic reading I was able to get in one trade. I read the very enjoyable "Our Cancer Year" by Joyce Brabner and Harvey Pekar. As the name clearly states, cancer was the main theme of this book. Harvey had it and beat it. But it took about all he and his wife Joyce could take to survive it. My copy of this book had two complete sections that were printed out of order.




On with my purchases.




Marvel:




Stephen King: The Dark Tower: Fall Of Gilead #2 (of 6). This art by Richard Isanove looks so much like Jae Lee. I didn't even realize Lee is off the book. I guess Isanove doesn't do backgrounds either.




Punisher #6. I know I've been high one this book since the first issue, but this issue was just so so. Very annoyingly this book had multiple pages out of order and printed back to back in some cases.


Incognito (Icon) #4. This story is really taking some odd turns. The art and coloring remain fantastic! Check it out.


Captain America #600. What can I say about this monster sized book? At $4.99 and 104 pages (only 6 pages of adds!), it's a meaty read. It features a very nice Alex Ross cover and multiple creators working on the interior including: Ed Brubaker, Ross, Paul Dini, Roger Stern, Howard Chaykin and Stan Lee to name a few. Just like the Thor 6ooth issue, it features a cover gallery with all the covers including the golden age covers. A true must have issue.


Mighty Avengers #26. I'm still reading this for now. I now have to find out what Pym (The Wasp) is doing with Jocasta. I always liked her.


Ghost Rider #s 33, 34 and 35. I picked all of these up together when I figured out Tony Moore was the artist. Decent story with good Moore art and Suydam covers.


DC (Vertigo):


Jack of Fables #35. The Great Fables Crossover p. 8 (of 9). I'll read the entire crossover in one setting.


Image:


Elephantmen #20. Hip Flask and Vanity Case on a "date".


IDW:


Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan #2 (of 3). Continuing the comic adaption of probably the best Star Trek movie. At least until the new one hit.


The Pick of My Pile this week was very easy. Captain America #600 hit on all cylinders and was easily the best comic of the week.


K.R.C.


D.L.

No comments: