Monday, March 17, 2008

Back up to "The Bottom"


Hello Chums,




Are you a fan of Moon Knight? I'm not. Never have been. I have never read him in the past and never wanted to anyway. So when Marvel Comics brought him back in '05, I wasn't exactly lined up to buy his book.



What changed my mind? David Finch. You see, I really liked his over-rendered style he used on the initial run of The New Avengers. When he quit doing that book I missed his art. Of course his type of art takes a looong time to do. So he has to move around and do six issue arcs here and there. And lets not forget the highly lucrative covers.



When David Finch showed up as the artist on the first arc of Moon Knight, I'm interested but I'm not buying it. But then I hang out with David Finch and fellow con attender Scott in a bar at Wizard World Texas. Hey he's a pretty cool guy. We do some serious drinking and talking. Have a real good time (Wayne missed out). Fast foreword to Wizard World Chicago, there's the Moon Knight hardcover "The Bottom" at a great price. I can't pass it up. I then get the book signed by Finch. Cool huh?



But is the story cool? Not really, it's just okay. It's basically the story of Moon Knight getting back in the game. We see Moon Knight take out street level thugs and use equipment that reminds me a little too much of the Dark Knight. Huum? Dark Knight /Moon Knight- are they ripping off Batman? Okay, he does get his powers from an Egyptian god so it's not a complete rip off.



While the story was okay, the artwork was not as good as Finch's New Avengers.



Rating: Story: B, Art: A-


K.R.C.


D.L.


No comments: