Monday, March 3, 2008

GETTING READY FOR CON SEASON!


Hello Chums,


Spring is almost here! That means con season is right around the corner! Last year I went to four cons: Kansas City, OKC, Chicago and Dallas. All good, except OKC. It Was Very Bad. Although it's put on by comic book people, it's not much of a comic-con. That's too bad since I live in OKC. I have had numerous people tell me that they won't be returning this year. AND THEY LIVE IN THIS CITY. Once again, that's too bad.



I was told (by the powers that be) that they want the con attenders to have the complete con experience. Meaning get a room at the con-hosting hotel and stay the whole weekend doing con activities. What The ? You mean spend 10 minutes in the lousy dealers room, then go hear some too-bit hack talk about their latest book, then play some role playing game, follow that up with a movie in one of the hotel rooms, then go see the crappy costume contest and finally filksing the night away? Are you effing kidding me? What am I twelve? I have a car, I don't have to stay in some shit hole hotel, play a role playing game with people that I don't know or even want to talk to. And if I wanted to watch a movie I wouldn't do it during the con with a bunch of questionable bathers. That's what the red box, blockbuster or netflix is for. And don't even bring up filksing or the costume contest. As William Shatner once said: Those people need to get a life.



This show focus' on third tier media guests and local writers. That kind of line up will not attract many (if any) returning retailers or attenders. I asked a big retailer (based out of Texas) I see every year at San Diego and Dallas if he would come to OKC. He said: "I heard that show sucked". I couldn't disagree with him.



I think all it would take to make the show a winner would be to get a few (known) comic-book writers or artists as guests. They don't have to be expensive "superstars", just creators people have heard of. These name creators could be enough to bring in a few big regional retailers. Better guests = better retailers= more attenders. Do that for a few years and the con would be off and running. It could rival Kansas City.


But enough griping about the OKC con (for now). This year it's back to sunny/fun(ny) San Diego,
for hands down the best show of the year. The best dealers room and by far the best panels. Period. I absolutely can't wait.


Is it okay if I wish for a little less media and their fans in San Diego? It would be nice if the con would take up the policy: Comics first! All other fandom...to be treated like the clingers on that they are! Comic books are what made comic-con, let's not forget it!


First con stop this year: Kansas City, April 5-6. See you there.


Now go to a comic book convention.


D.L.

No comments: