Monday, June 30, 2008

New York trip recap

Hello Chums,



You may have noticed I have slowed down on my graphic novel/trade reviews. Maybe not. I have been reading plenty but haven't felt like doing a review since my trip to New York. Well whether you care or not I thought I would blog about that trip. Eleven days with the family. Six days in Syracuse visiting family (great time, I wish we could have stayed longer.) Then five days in NYC. Record heat + injuries + sickness = the worst (half) of a vacation ever.





However, I did make it to The Big Apple Con. Yeah, I took the subway (by myself) down to the Penn Plaza Pavilion. The Big Apple Con! A con going on when I just happened to be in NYC! Sweet! It was the same weekend of the TERRIBLE OKC con. I would trade any con for that shitty con. Anyway the Big Apple Con was in a very old building/hotel (?) The con space was a rather cramped/claustrophobic area stuffed with comics and comic people. But mostly all comics! Great deals were found in my limited time there. I saw a couple of comics creators also. Can't complain about that.





While in New York I also hit four comic book stores. Two in Syracuse (one really nice and one in a mall.) And two stores in NYC. The first store was Midtown Comics by Times Square (a hard to find little let down of a store.) But the second store was Jim Hanley's Universe a large store with an amazing selection of books/trades/shirts/comic book stuff. Sitting right across the street from the Empire State Building, it's not to be missed. Not a big selection of back issues but a great store none-the-less. I picked up a few books I had been looking for there.





Between the con and the four comic book stores, I knocked out quite a few nice purchases in New York. I can't complain about that. Let the reading begin!





K.R.C.


D.L.

No comments: